The Carishof dates back to 1640. Since then there have been many renovations and reconstructions, the biggest of which was in 1777 when a new gable was built on the street side in front of the living area. This is known as a ‘double Dutch gable’. There were major renovations done to the farmhouse in the 1970s when a new stone-built south wing was constructed replacing the original half timbered wing which kept the building closed in as a square.
During the 70s the pattern of the garden was also partially established. The hedges of beeches and buxus mainly date from this time.
With the arrival of the present residents, March 2002, a time of drastic change for the garden began. The hedges of beech and buxus remained but were added to by additional buxus and yew balls. Large parts of the lawns were taken away to transform them into flower borders. Unbelievably, up until 2002 the garden had been completely flowerless.
The new borders were planted between 2002 and 2004. During these years an orangery was built, several trees were replaced and a trimmed planetree was planted in the courtyard. In 2003 both a small orchard and vineyard were removed and a separate garden was created for fruit bushes such as gooseberry, raspberry, blackberry and currants. In the old Limburg tradition, hawthorn hedges were planted as fences between the separate parts of the garden. Some years later big willow baskets were braided around the fruit trees in the orchard in the style of medieval gardens in former centuries. Within these basket circles white narcissi bloom in April and May and later, during the summer, wild flowers such as poppies and other field flowers.